Once upon a time my morning ritual consisted of an annoying alarm clock, an annoyed young man and an indented snooze button.
It became a ritual for me to set my clock to an obscure time but to still press snooze over and over and over again. Upon slapping the clock I’d pull my head under the sheets and ask myself – “Should I get up?” And I’ would answer:
“Next one…Next one for sure.”
An hour would past and it was time to get serious…
I’d hop out of bed as if I was accomplishing something not realizing that I just spent an hour debating with myself whether or not I should stay warm in the covers or risk the feeling of cold hardwood on my feet.
Fast forward to the present day and it’s a whole new morning ritual. Instead of pressing the snooze button over and over again, I’m more likely to stretch my joints and carpe the freakin diem! So how did I do it?
Practice. Every night I ensured that the last thing I thought about before bed was the morning and how I was going to get up on time. I challenged myself to get to sleep earlier and never work past 11:00PM.
Then I stumbled upon this blog post about breaking the typical morning ritual and followed his advice to a tee. It worked.
The earlier you wake up, the more hours you can put into accomplishing and achieving your dreams. Here are 15 healthy morning rituals that will bring you closer to living the life you’ve always wanted:
- Get up immediately. Don’t you dare press that snooze button! Get up out of bed as if someone ran in screaming “FIRE, FIRE”! You can sleep when you’re dead – Get up and cease the day.
- Chug back a pint of H20. More than 55% of your body is made up of water, if you don’t drink it, you’re killing yourself. Not a big fan of the taste? No sweat, add a lemon, lime or cucumber to make the taste a bit more enjoyable.
- Smoothie Time! Some people like a bowl of fruits with a side of cottage cheese, I like a good hearty smoothy! Grab some strawberries, bananas and frozen yogurt to put together the best smoothie you will ever try.
- Read the news and Drink some Coffee. Money never sleeps. As soon as you wake up there will be something going on in the world that you didn’t know about when you went to sleep. Getting up to date in what’s going on in the world and enjoying a cup of coffee is an excellent way to kick start your day with some knowledge and pep!
- Do 50 Push-ups. You don’t have to do them in one breath. But take the time to actually push yourself to do 50 push ups. It’s a great way to get healthier and start your day with a small success.
- Listen to a motivational song. Music touches the soul. If you can find a song that truly gets you pumped up and ready to take on the world then listen to it every morning. It’s a quick and easy way to get your adrenaline pumping!
- Floss like a Boss. Flossing is the one thing that the average human will overlook when taking care of their teeth. The feeling of having no bacteria between your teeth is one of utter bliss, take the time to floss – Like a boss!
- Go for a walk. Or hop on the treadmill for 30 minutes. People who walk in the morning have more energy than those who walk at night after a long day. Use the work to appreciate your surroundings and plan your day. In silence if possible.
- Make Love. Now you may not be able to do this every morning but it’s definitely the best way to start the day on the right foot! WHAT?!
- Review your Calendar. Take a look at your calendar for the day and plan your way of attack. This is an easy way to prepare for your day and get your mind in the right place to start the day with productivity.
- Writing and thinking about Goals. While it’s important to note that creating a goal isn’t the end of this ritual. The end of this ritual is when you actually accomplish it. This ritual is more of a way to track and strategize for the ways in which you can accomplish your goals.
- Eating a Hearty Breakfast. Fire up your engine with a hearty breakfast with all the food groups. My best days are those where I start with a high protein breakfast filled with steak and eggs. It’s delicious, hearty and just what I need to start the day.
- Meditate. This may sound and even feel weird at first but it has the power to have a huge impact on your day spiritually and intellectually. Removing yourself from everything for just 15 minutes can act as a great stress relief. If you need some music that will help you get in a state of utter bliss; here’s an excellent playlist.
- Recite a Poem. I like to switch the poem up on a monthly basis as it will become implanted in your memory over time. I started this ritual a few years ago with a poem from Rudyard Kipling – If.
- Tell someone you love them. Whether it’s your kids, parents, partner or best friend. Start your day off on the right foot by making someone else feel special. This is a sure fire way to start someone else’s day with a smile.